THE BLUEPRINT

Tips and advice to assist you in your job search.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Are You Really Answering The Job Posting?

Or, are you simply picking out the soft qualifications you have and then uploading your resume? Too many times I hear job candidates say, well they asked for a BS in A or B, but I have a Masters in...or I hear something like "well I may not have experience in ______(insert specific skill), but I am able to multitask, I'm detail-oriented, I have great communication skills; written and verbal, etc..." Well, most times those soft skills that most every job posting seem to include are pretty common, and for certain industries they're a given. For example analytical skills in accounting or finance. And although you should still have them, the main part of the posting is usually the experience (hard skills) and educational part. If the posting is only asking for a Bachelor's degree and you have a Masters it doesn't mean the hiring manager will be more impressed. It usually means you're over qualified, or better yet if you respond, that you don't take direction well. So, back to the soft skills, which is my main point today. Don't skimp on the crucial requirements thinking that as long as you have the other soft skills you'll be called in for an interview. Trust me, it's an employer's market, therefore nine times out of ten they will go for candidates that meet virtually EVERY qualification listed. You'll save yourself a lot of time "not" responding to job postings that you don't totally qualify or are over qualified for. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home